Canker Sore Miracle Solution = Nutritional Yeast!
Some articles on the web mention that vitamin B and amino acids such as L-Lysine can stop the canker sores known as Aphthous stomatitis. The secret to this advice is: to take enough vitamin B regularly on a daily basis.*
Nutritional yeast is bursting with the full spectrum of B vitamins and amino acids. It is a inexpensive (way less than the pills cost) and available at the grocery store.
Some people like the nutty flavor and sprinkle it on foods claiming that it makes them feel good. I prefer to mix it with the last gulp of my morning tea. With nutritional yeast (vitamin B) in my daily diet , my canker sore worries are almost gone.
A friend clued me in to this a long time ago. She said that vegetarians do not get enough of the vitamin B that is present in meat, and they should eat nutritional yeast to get B vitamins, and to prevent canker sores. What I did not understand at the time is that the vitamin B needs to be in the body in sufficient quantity to act against the formation of canker sores. Also it must be the full spectrum of vitamin B, not just one type such as B-12. The vitamin B labeled as “Stress Complex” appears to contain the full spectrum, but I have only used nutritional yeast, as it costs less and is in a more natural form. The pills may be synthesized. To be effective it must be taken daily. Please note: this is nutritional yeast, not any other kind of yeast.
Nutritional yeast (vitamin B) has been a miracle in my life as long as I follow certain rules mostly about my diet as shown below.
There are two modes of dealing with canker sores:
(when there are no canker sores)
- Eat at least one heaping teaspoon of nutritional yeast a day or vitamin B. The amount of vitamins B must be high for it to work.It takes maybe a 2-3 days for it to kick in while the body’s resistance grows stronger against the sores.
- Pay attention to any foods that trigger canker sores. Such as: hot pepper, salty snacks, spices, alcohol, tomatoes, tomato sauce, citrus fruits, and sharp or hard foods like chips or nuts (that could cut or irritate the mouth). A web search will turn up many more possibilities.
- Be careful not to bite the cheek or lip. Cheek bites can cause nasty mouth sores.
- Eat enough to stay healthy. If I miss a few meals, slack off on the Vitamin B, do not eat well, or suffer severe stress, the mouth sores may start to appear. It is important to eat enough good wholesome food and to get plenty of vitamin B so that the body can repair itself.
- Drink lots of water. This really helps prevent and heal canker sores. Alcohol does the opposite; it causes dehydration.
- Hydrogen peroxide mouthwash can help prevent small cuts from developing into mouth sores.
(after a canker sore appears, or to ward off, as in the case of a cheek bite or eating a wrong food)
- Increase the vitamin B to speed up the healing and to prevent more sores. I take three heaping tablespoons of nutritional yeast over the course of the day. The idea is to clobber it with a mega dose of vitamins B until it heals and then decrease the dose back to the “maintenance mode” level when the sore heals.
- Drink plenty of water and stay well hydrated.
- If a wrong food is eaten rinse the mouth out to remove all the food particles and increase the vitamin B for a few days just in case. Rinsing the mouth after eating washes away food particles that could cause irritation.
- Pain management. Over the counter medicines can numb the sore and relieve pain, which is especially helpful before eating or brushing the teeth. Please be sure that it does not contain any alcohol, phenol, mint, or anything that will sting the sore! A dentist can prescribe “Magic Mouthwash” which contains lidocaine, antihistamine, and antacid. This is very soothing and effective in numbing the sore and relieving the most terrible canker sore pain.
- Cleaning the sore at the very first appearance cleaning can prevent the it from developing deeply (more painful) into the lip or cheek. Check with your doctor or dentist about this.
- Blood blisters occasionally appear on the cheek after eating a meal. I learned from experience that they will heal without forming a canker sore if they are left alone and not ruptured. Chew carefully to avoid popping the blood blister and take plenty of nutritional yeast (vitamins B) and they will amazingly heal. However, if the blister is ruptured, the open wound tends to form a canker sore.
This method works wonders for me. Hopefully this will benefit others as well.
Self Hypnosis for the Canker Sore Miracle Solution:
- Sit or lie down and get comfy.
- Take a few deep breaths and relax.
- Think about your experience with canker sores.
- Try to remember which foods or anything else that may cause them.
- Make a list of things that you can do, or stop doing, that will help.
- Read each item from your list and affirm with deep conviction that you will follow your plan.
- Keep tabs on your progress.
- Before sleep read the list and affirm your conviction to follow each item on the list.
*Disclaimer: This is not medical advice.